Friday 29 June 2012

Even More Potato Chips


Fabulous quilt by Kay White for her daughter's boyfriend who supports the AFL team whose 'name shall not be spoken'.  The black and white strips were cut from Kay's extensive collection of black and white fabrics. Kay printed the Magpie highlights (chips) then quilted with Football and Magpie patterns - but don't tell Hamish that there is a Bulldog in there as well!



Jewel of the Night
72" x 84"
One of the club's members was going overseas for many months and donated lots of strips in different colour lots to anyone wanting them. I picked up several, knowing I'd have no trouble finding something to do with them. Eventually. Along came the Never Ending Strip technique and I was in business. I cut and cut, all those offcuts left after you trim the quilt after quilting, pieces of fabric off the shelf that would go with the collection I was working with. This quilt uses 3 inch cut strips on the front, which I think showcases fabrics rather nicely and uses less strips to cover more area. I picked out other fabrics to make the border detail and to make it a bed size of quilt. On the back I have used another strip set in similar colours, this time in 1.5" cut strips, which was not quite vibrant enough for a quilt front. It was named by Kay Sorensen who saw it on one of my posts. It was claimed by my (wait for it) husband's wife's mother, who has it on her bed in the rest home she has just moved to. Kay of Kay's Quilts quilted it with a lovely design at very short notice.



A striking Potato Chip quilt from a black and white jelly roll with red highlights by Nena Marsh.

Professionally quilted  by Kay of Kay’s Quilts. This quilt was a special gift for a christening. The photo shows it before binding.

No comments:

Post a Comment